Roof restoration services are essential for residents of Adelaide and all Australians. This is because of the several benefits of this service. Enhanced aesthetics, water damage & leak prevention, roof durability, energy efficiency, structural protection, and improved and/or secured property value are some of the benefits.
It, therefore, becomes necessary that these services are carried out on time. This calls for regular and thorough roof inspection for signs suggesting that this service is needed. You can click here for more information about this.
Roof restoration services are better done during certain periods of the year. More about this will be covered in this article. So, read on to find out the best time of the year to restore your roof in Adelaide.
When Is the Optimal Time to Restore an Adelaide Roof?
Transitional seasons – autumn and spring; are the best time to embark on roof restoration projects in Adelaide. This is particularly because of the harsh climatic features of winter and summer periods.
The hot and cold extremities of both seasons make it difficult to embark on this project. So, you stand a better chance of seeing a perfectly done roof restoration project during autumn or spring. Some of the reasons for this include the following:
Effects on Workers
Just as with other roofing services, this service is carried out outdoors. This means that workers are at the mercy of nature. As a result, the prevalent climatic and weather conditions determine how suitable it is for this task to be carried out.
Well, it so happens that weather and climatic conditions are not worker-friendly during summer and winter. It can be very hot, particularly during summer’s peak in Adelaide. On the other hand, winter is equally not worker-friendly because of the cold.
There is also the likely possibility of rainfall during winter. This also makes the execution of this task very difficult.
The effect of direct sunlight especially during summer’s peak means that there would be a surface heat problem. As a result, workers can get burns and other heat-related injuries handling roofing materials. It is even worse with metallic materials.
As a result of all these and more, it is not unusual to see workers only work during certain periods of the day. In essence, this means that working hours can be significantly reduced during these seasons, leading to slow execution of tasks.
Effects on Roofing Materials
Humans have learned to deal with extremities, and this is why it is technically possible to carry out roof restoration projects during winter and summer. This is even though it is not advised because of the several odds.
One of the reasons (besides the aforementioned) is the effect of extreme heat and cold (including rainfall) on roofing materials used for this task. Let us use rainfall during winter to drive home this point.
Some of the materials used for this task have adhesive features for instance. Well, moisture is bad news for adhesives as it adversely impacts their ability to do what they are meant to do.
Furthermore, a lot of the materials used can only be effective when used under certain temperatures. Examples include sealants, adhesives, and coatings. Summer’s heat is often way above the appropriate temperature range.
Also, rainfall which is quite common during winter in Adelaide means that there would likely be a moisture problem. For more on this, you can visit: https://weatherspark.com/.
Preparation & Repair
Roofs are likely to experience heightened levels of degradation during summer and winter. As a result, the transitional seasons – autumn and spring; are the perfect time to prepare the roof for the extremities of summer and winter. They are also the best time to repair damages during both winter and summer.
Restoring a Roof in Adelaide Weather
Several things have to be taken into consideration for proper restoration of roofs in Adelaide weather. They include the following:
Of course, spring and fall is the best season to carry out this project. However, consultation with experts and other aspects of planning should start before then.
Expertise & Experience
As with any other roofing project, effective roof restoration requires roofers who are truly capable of carrying out this task. So, people must be deliberate about engaging the right roof restoration professional or company.
How Adelaide Roofs Are Negatively Affected During Summer
Summer is not only one of the worst times for roof restoration projects in Adelaide. It is also the season that has the harshest effects on roofs. Below is how weather and climatic conditions during this season can have harsh effects on roofs:
- Extreme Heat– Summer’s heat can cause roofing materials to experience heightened levels of degradation, leading to warping and cracking. This is because of the extreme heat that causes these materials to contract and expand.
- Drying & Dehydration– Moisture can be very bad for roofing materials. However, the complete lack of it is not good either. Well, this is what extreme heat during summer is capable of doing.
- UV Radiation– UV radiation from the sun can cause damage to roofing materials, especially of certain kinds. Shingles are prime examples as UV radiation can cause them to become brittle and fade.
- Thermal Stress– Summer exposes roofing materials to rapid changes in temperatures. This is considering the massive change in temperature during the day and nighttime. This is known as thermal stress and it is capable of weakening roofing components, leading to adverse effects like splitting and cracking.
How Adelaide Roofs Are Negatively Affected During Winter
Winter has the second harshest effect on roofs in Adelaide. Some of the ways this plays out are discussed below:
- Moisture Problem– Winter here results in frequent rainfall. This leads to excess moisture buildup which can cause water damage.
- Wind– There is usually an increase in wind activity during this season. Excessive wind strength may displace and/or weaken roofing components.
- Reduced Sunlight– The moisture problem associated with winter is not just because of frequent rainfall. It is also because of brief daylight hours which reduces the amount of sunlight.
- Mold & Mildew Growth– Roof undersides are not spared from the adverse effects of winter. This is considering how condensation effects can lead to mould and mildew growth. This presence of both can lead to the degradation of roofing materials.
Besides having roof restoration in Adelaide carried out at the right time, this project must also be executed by the right hands. So, only professionals with the required expertise and experience should be hired.
Furthermore, roof restoration requires proper planning. For this reason, you do not have to wait till the best seasons before you start planning.